Friday, May 31, 2013

Divan of Shems of Tabriz - Rumi

When my bier is carried on the day of my death
Don't think my heart remains in this world.

Don't weep for me or cry, "Woe!Woe!"
Such sadness is the devil's snare.

When you see my hearse, don't cry, "He's gone, gone!"
Remember, union and encounter are mine in that hour.

When you commit me to the grave, don't say:"Good bye, good bye."
The grave is a curtain concealing the community of Paradise

After looking upon descent, consider resurrection;
To the sun and the moon, is setting a calamity?

To you death is setting; in truth it is rising.
Though the grave seems like a prision, it comes as the soul's release.

What seed buried in earth doesn't grow?
Why doubt the growth of the seed in man?

What bucket lowered doesn't come up brimming?
Why should the spririt's Joseph complain at the well?

Shut your mouth on this side of death, open it beyond.
Your song will be trumphant in nowhere's air.

No comments:

Post a Comment